GeeGees Image

Gee-Gees stunned by Bishop’s 64-63

Friday October 26, 2012

The Gee-Gees tipped off against the Bishop’s University Gaiters on day one of the annual Jack Donohue tournament - a game that finished in heartbreak fashion for Ottawa as the Gaiters capped off a come from behind win in the dying seconds of the game.

The Gaiters took the lead from the free throw line after Mehdi Tihani was assessed a technical foul with 31.8 seconds remaining in the game. The Gee-Gees had one last chance to take the lead when they were handed back the ball with 10 seconds remaining in the game. Nevertheless they were unable to capitalize on a last second scoring attempt that fell short of the basket.

Despite the final result the Gee-Gees came out of gates looking strong, hitting eight three point shots in the first half and leading by 17 at the half. However the young teams’ lack of experience was obvious in the second half as the Gaiters took control of the game with strong defensive pressure that stunned the garnet and grey as they shot only 18.8 per cent from the field in the second half.

“I was concerned after the first half because we let them dictate who had the tempo of the game and it turned out being effective for them,” said head coach James Derouin post game. “The technical foul at the end of the game was frustrating but it was certainly not why we lost, we just need to be better.”

In his first game back from knee surgery, veteran guard Warren Ward showed some rust early on but was still able to put down seven points and showed good chemistry with second year point guard Mike L’Africain.

Johnny Berhanemeskel led the way for the Gee-Gees recording 12 points and two assists while leading the team with 36 minutes played. Forward Vikas Gill also put up 12 points and two assists while shooting 4-8 from the field.

The Gee-Gees will be back on the court tomorrow at 8 p.m. to face the UQAM Citadins at Monpetit Hall.UQAM lost their opening game of the tournament to the Toronto Varsity Blues by a score of 79-72.