Number of positions: 4 to 10
All referees are responsible for officiating league games in a respectful, courteous, and professional manor, while providing a fun and safe environment for all Intramural participants. Hockey referees will implement established Intramural Hockey rules to the best of their abilities. Referees report directly to the Hockey Head referee and work in conjunction with the League Supervisor as well as the Assistant Coordinator(s) where necessary.
Experience / skills required:
- Excellent knowledge of Hockey rules, usually acquired through experience officiating or participation;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage conflicts
- Leadership qualities and ability to work as part of a dynamic team;
- Good language competency (oral, written) in both English and French;
- Recognized Referee Certification or willing to get certified before the start of the season.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Before the season:
- Maintain proper certification by an appropriate governing body;
- Know and understand all rules specific to hockey and hockey league rules;
- Provide availability to the Head Referee in a timely manner;
- Attend meetings scheduled by the Head Referee;
- Attend all mandatory meetings and training sessions.
During the season:
- Officiate all games assigned by the Head Referee;
- Finding a replacement for any assigned shifts for which you cannot be present;
- Notify the Head Referee of all shift changes;
- Ensure games start and end on time;
- Referee fair and consistent games to the best of your ability;
- Maintain a positive attitude around participants and peers;
- Complete appropriate incident/accident reports when necessary prior to leaving the facility;
- Immediately report major incidents/accidents to the League Supervisor;
- Provide truthful and detailed reports if asked by the Head Referee or Disciplinary Committee;
- Stay and officiate a friendly match in the event of a forfeit, as long as the minimum number of participants is present;
- Communicate throughout the season with Head Referee;
- Remain professional at all times;
- Inspect facilities to ensure safe game play
Note: Referees cannot play in a league in which they officiate
Please send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.